How much does a breast implant cost?
Safety, effectiveness, price of breast implants – Shop for breast augmentation in that order
One should never shop by price alone for something as significant as breast augmentation.
That being said, there are many of us who do these surgeries in an office operating room which can save you some money on facility fees. In my practice a breast augmentation with saline is $4100, with silicone implants it is $5200.
This includes the anesthesiologist (board certified) and all facility fees. I use deep sedation and well placed local anesthesia. Utah is a relatively inexpensive area in the country for cosmetic surgery, and you may expect to pay a little more in your area. (York Jay Yates, MD, Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon)
Breast implant cost depends on the area
There are several options, as well as regional differences that affect the pricing. The quick answer is saline breast augmentation averages about $6,700 whereas silicone breast augmentation averages $7,400.
For an outstanding resource, go to the RealSelf breast implants cost map. (Otto Joseph Placik, MD, Chicago Plastic Surgeon)
The fees for breast augmentation vary from region to region. I would say in the NY area, the fee for a ‘straight forward” breast augmentation can vary from $5,000- $10,000 depending upon the surgeon’s expertise and the types of implants used. (Steven Wallach, MD, New York Plastic Surgeon)
Breast Implant prices
Cost for breast augmentation vary greatly even in the same city. Keep in mind that many surgeons performing this surgery are not board certified plastic surgeons and are not operating in accredited facilities where the costs can be much lower.
I would think twice about going somewhere if the price is way below the average price in your area.
In the Miami area, prices range from about $4500 to over $7000, but price should not be the only criteria you use to choose your plastic surgeon. (Baruch Jacobs, MD, FACS, Miami Plastic Surgeon)
There is a wide variation in costs for this procedure and I am sure it’s really confusing trying to work out why that is. In Australia the things which affect price are
- Who does the surgery. In Australia any doctor can perform an operation irrespective whether they have had any training at all. Specially trained Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons tend to be more expensive, which generally reflects a better outcome for the patient.
- The amount of planning you undergo. Planning can range from using state of the art 3D simulation software combined with using preoperative sizers to feel the weight of your chosen size in a bra, or some people simply rely on the doctor to choose the size for them in the operating room, and hope they get it right!
- Whether there is any post operative care. Care varies from a single post op visit to being cared for by a dedicated team who follow you up for the rest of your implants life (usually 10 to 15 years)
- Where you operation takes place. Some doctors perform implant surgery in their own office doing the anaesthetic by themselves. The alternative is for surgery to be carried out in an accredited hospital with another doctor performing the anaesthetic. This is often overlooked as implant surgery is usually very safe, however if there are any complications it pays to be in safe hands!
- The type of implants used. Implants have large variations in their costs and safety profile. Usually the total Augmentation costs between $9000 and $12,000 in Australia when performed in the safest environment. (Sam Cunneen, MBBS, FRACS, Houston Plastic Surgeon)
Breast implant costs
The cost of a standard breast implant can vary depending on the type of implants, the facility fee, anesthesia fees and the surgeon’s fee. In the Houston area, this can vary from ~5K-7K. I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who can customized a surgical plan for your needs. (Young R. Cho, MD, PhD, Kansas City Plastic Surgeon)