Breast Implants Q&A
Now there is a lot of all sorts of information about breast implants, which only makes it difficult to understand what they are really. We will try to answer the most important questions:
What are silicone breast implants? How does breast augmentation surgery (mammoplasty) affect on our body? How to install breast implants, which method of installation is preferable? Which implant manufacturers are considered more reliable?
The first breast augmentation operations were carried out even before the breast implants were invented. Instead, they used a variety of materials (mostly liquid silicone). The result was amazing, and the procedure became more popular.
However, it soon became apparent that liquid silicone is a fairly unpredictable substance, and after a few months the silicone began to move in the body, thereby provoking inflammation. The number of victims of the operation increased, and similar surgical interventions were soon banned. However, there are many women who want to find a safe method of breast augmentation.
The structure of the breast implants.
Researchers concluded, that the liquid silicone must be enclosed in a shell. It took many years for the surface to become multi-layered, impermeable and very solid. Modern implants can withstand very high loads. Experts conducted a test drive by car, and their shell did not tear. The composition of the implants also changed drastically over time. At first it was filled with physiological saline, but this brought discomfort, since the implants produced an unpleasant sound when moving, similar to “gurgling”.Then silicone was used as the filler. And in modern implants are no longer a liquid silicone, but a thick gel. The filler will not leak even if the shell is damaged.
Moreover, all manufacturers, that manufacture popular brands of implants give a lifetime guarantee. That is, if replacement of the implant is required, the patient will receive a free material.
How to choose the right breast implant size?
The shape of the breast, like clothes, is influenced by fashion. Now there are not only round implants, but the anatomical (teardrop-shaped). It is possible to select an implant of the required volume, height (profile) and diameter of the base. The surgeon will help to choose the right model, corresponding to the volume of your chest and relying on your individual wishes.When choosing anatomical implants is very important one point, their surface should not be smooth, it is important the presence of a rough shell. With such a surface, the implant will not turn, which is absolutely unacceptable, especially if the implant is not round, but teardrop shaped.
How to make sure that the result does not disappoint?
Experts advise making an accurate computer simulation in order to be 100% convinced of the correctness of the choice.
It allows you to see the result of the operation on the monitor. Seeing your new breast, you can objectively evaluate it, identify shortcomings and adjust the size or shape before the operation. It is possible even to design silicone models and “try on” the future new thing.
The insertion of breast implants.
In professional circles, breast augmentation surgery is not considered difficult, but, nevertheless, the doctor must have considerable experience and precision in carrying out such operations. The duration of the operation is about half an hour, modern methods of anesthesia do not leave undesirable sensations and you can go home the same day. Incisions in the chest area are very small, you might think that through such a small hole is impossible to inserted the implant. However, in practice this is just a technical feature. The incision is made on the border of the areola, under the breast or in the armpit. The skin is sewn in a special way – layer-by-layer and special invisible seam.
Previously, the implant was placed directly under the mammary gland, now they are placed under the large pectoral muscle, or combined method – the lower part under the muscle, and the top under the gland. This method, first, reduces the risk of ptosis. The muscle firmly fixes the implant, and the breast will retain its shape for many years. Secondly, the client is less nervous, knowing that the implant is not in contact with the mammary gland, and therefore, there are no obstacles to lactation.
Types of implants.
In addition to silicone implants, the market provides implants and with a different filling, but they are extremely unpopular. Some manufacturers claim that their implants are filled with bioadditives (vitamins, antioxidants, etc.). But the choice of such implants is not optimal, and for that there are several reasons:
- The shell must be impermeable, and this excludes the possibility of vitamins entering the body.
- Implant is in the body for years, and perhaps tens of years, and what is the duration of useful additives?
- There have been cases of complete “drying” of the filler of organic implants. As a result, they became unfit for use and replacement was required.
- The price of such implants is higher, and this is not a guarantee of its quality.
Implants covered with polyurethane coating are most popular. Their surface is absolutely non-slip. In the insertion they are more complicated than traditional ones, but the possibility of displacement of the implant is practically excluded.
Answers to the most frequent questions.
What is a breast implant?
Breast prosthesis with a silicone shell and filler.
What is the breast implant used for?
They are used for restoration, breast augmentation, correction of defects (shape, contour, asymmetry).
The implant is required when:
- Breast augmentation
- The purpose of breast augmentation is the correction of asymmetry, an aesthetic increase in the mammary gland.
- Replacement of the implant.
- The purpose of the operation is to replace the old implant with a new implant.
- Breast reconstruction.
- Surgical restoration of a lost mammary gland due to a mastectomy, an accident.
If you want to enlarge your breasts. Where to begin?
A consultation with a plastic surgeon at the clinic. He will tell you about the procedure in detail and answer your questions.
1. Is breast augmentation safe?
The operation requires preliminary testing to assess postoperative recovery conditions. Recovery takes place in a specially equipped ward and is a few hours. After returning home, the patient should observe a 5-10 days rest period, refrain from physical exercises. The patient is recorded on preventive examination a few days after the operation, then the implants are inspected every 3, 6, 12 months.
2. Is there a risk to health, an allergic reaction?
Breast implants, used in the clinic, are biocompatible with the tissues of the human body. The surgeon will explain the interaction of the implant shell and breast tissue at a consultation.
3. Do Breast Implants Cause Cancer?
The researchers did not identify the relationship between the installation of implants and the disease of breast cancer.
4. How to choose suitable breast implants?
After the examination, the surgeon will suggest an implant suitable for the patient – in size, shape, quality. The best is Monobloc from Arion, which are produced by the unique French technology. Breast implants do not have glued parts, they are elastic, which avoids the risk of weakening and leakage of biogel.
5. What is the Average “Life” of a Breast Implant?
Thanks to unique developments, a new generation of implants serves up to 10 years.
6. Can I Get a Normal Mammogram After Breast Implants?
Monobloc Arion conduct X-rays without interfering with the accurate diagnosis of a mammogram. The remaining types of implants – saline and silicone are opaque for X-rays.
7. What is the best age for Breast Augmentation?
The patient’s psychological and physiological maturity play a decisive role in the installation of the implant. 18 years is the optimal age, however, with the consent of the parents, implants are also instaled for under-age patients.
8. Does the installation of the breast implant affect to local sensitivity?
The decrease in sensitivity in the nipple and areola is temporary. It disappears in a few weeks.
9. How long does it take to see the result?
Implants forms the breast for three to six months, occupying an optimal position and interacting with the tissues.
10. What are the most common risks with silicone implants?
The first is the formation of a capsular contracture. The principle of its occurrence consists in an attempt of the immune system to destroy a foreign object, isolating it by creating a fibrous capsule. However, implants are biocompatible with breast tissue, which prevents the risk of capsular contracture. Silicone implants have a high risk of spreading silicone oils inside the body.
11. Are all breast implants identical?
There are many differences between brands of implants, for example, “shape memory” – the speed of return of the implant to its original state after palpation, gluing of individual patches.
12. When do I need to replace the implants?
Replacement of the implant is necessary if it is damaged or if there is a defect in the shell. In addition, if there is inflammation in the area of the implant, which can not be treated conservatively.
13. How often should undergo medical examination after?
Usually, if a woman does not bother with a discomfort, she does not contact to the surgeon. However, the examination of a specialist must be at least once a year. It is advisable that not only the examination but also the ultrasound of the mammary glands is performed, as it is not always possible to determine the condition of the implant with normal palpation (the cohesive gel does not leave immediately after the rupture and the woman not know about it for a long time).
14. Is there an allergy to implants? How can you identify and warn?
An allergic reaction to breast implants is not, but any organism can react to a foreign body. This reaction is usually manifested in the formation of a fibrous capsule around the implant (scar tissue). Intolerance and rejection of implants is extremely rare and is more often associated with the onset of inflammation and complications of surgery (hematoma, seroma, implant displacement).
15. When can I visit the sauna, solarium after breast augmentation surgery?
If 2-3 months after the operation and there are no complaints, it is possible to visit the sauna and solarium.
16. I often fly on airplanes and I always worry about stuffiness in the ears, if I was perform breast augmentation surgery, will not they tear during overloads in the air?
The shell of the implants is designed for stretching, many times exceeding possible body overload in the aircraft. For example: the shell of silicone implants withstands tensile strain by 500%, hydrogel cover by 950%. The implant experiences the greatest load on the shell when it is installed during the operation.
17. What is the most accurate method for diagnosing breast conditions with implants?
The most accurate technique to date is the use of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). This technique is highly sensitive and specific if the evaluation of MRI images is based on clear criteria for implant rupture.
Breast Implants Questions And Answers:
- How Much Are Breast Implants? The cost of breast implants varies widely depending on your market, style of implant, implant fill, if you are a straight forward breast augmentation or if you need any additional work for asymmetry, lifting, etc....read more
- Do Breast Implants Have An Expiration Date? Breast implant last: The actual word-for-word FDA recommendations I’ll address the more pressing issue first. We are told many different answers on how long one should go with breast implants. Some of the more senior...read more
- Breast Implants How Long Do They Last? How Long Do Breast Implants Last This is a common misconception that many people share. Doctors used to say that implants needed to be replaced every 10 years but that is false. Implants only need...read more
- How Long Do Breast Implants Last? Breast Implants Don’t Need To Be Changed Unless Necessary I know of several women who received implants and have never had to change them. It is a myth that implants must be changed every 10...read more
- How To Choose Silicone Implant Size? Computer Imaging is Very Helpful in Determing silicone implant Size If you are considering breast augmentation it is very important that you consult with a surgeon who is experienced in all types of cosmetic breast...read more
- How To Choose What Size Breast Implants To Get? Choosing the right breast implant size There is NOT a rule or simple calculation to determine the optimal implant size for you, although there are several factors that can be considered to reach a good...read more